Sunday, September 22, 2013

Refashion ,,,I hope!

Saturday night I took apart a size 22-28 sweater/poncho/cape thing I bought from Lane Bryant around seven years ago . I've only worn it a handful of times (probably three? ) in all that time . It's pretty but VERY voluminous.And very ,very WARM!
With enough fabric in the piece to cover the average car hood or round picnic table I decided to try refashioning it into a sweater dress . I took apart the thing at the seams with only a few flubs (which I think I fixed..) . I plan to take the purl selvedge and use that for side seams /reinrorcement and have the ribbed edges that were the side-of-poncho become the neckline and hem . The small scoop where the turtleneck collar was ,I hope to utilize as waist shaping ,possibly by gathering it into a bit of a starburst from the sideseam design detail (maybe bead a bit /reinforce it from the back at this point?).
 I also sanded down the eight buttons that graced the shoulderline of the capething. I'll most likely re-sew them onto the dress just in a closer spaced formation.
I told Mom,Grams, and Mrs Morton about it -they all want to see it when I get it finished . I am choosing to hand sew this as I'm not really comfy yet sewwing looser knits on my machine.

I want to fix a rust & hibiscus print dress too -just a two or three inch rent on the seam -shouldn't take that long!I may pull it out and get it done tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment