Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dress refashion trumps The List

I've a whole list of things I want to sew or refashion , buuuuuuuut . Sometimes something comes together and says "Make Me . Now!" .
Okay.
Backstory on the project pieces former life.
Part one was a Derek Heart  triangle semi bikini -ish halter dress or coverup with a long tiered maxi skirt( unlined and sheer) , with a sort of brushstroke watercolor batik floral print in rust ,white ,gray,and chocolate. I either got this for a dollar at Downtown Rescue Mission thrift shop or Asbury after passing it up a few times or I grabbed and stuffed  a sackful at Ms Sharon's thrift shop when they were about to go out of business .
Part two was a cotton thick sheeting type matieriel skirt in a creamy white in three unequal panels  ( undoubtedly from a thrift origin) waist was too small for comfort ,and there was a odd rub/fray/wear spot on the skirt so recycling it to a refreshed waistband alone wouldn't do.
Part three is a Madison something or other brand  tee in a nice chocolate brown and nice feel cotton Lycra blend. Unfortunately this lovely basic tee shrank in the wash . Vertically. Grrrrrr.
As I don't favour copying the bared midriff look ,the tee got culled to possibly get refashioned into something wearable - like panties perhaps .

In one of the sort and straighten ups of the sewing room ,with some purging of stuff that isn't working or inspiring anything, I nearly purged all three parts. To the point that they were bagged up to get hauled out when I retrieved them and plunked them by my machine.

I cut off the waistband from the cream skirt,and the  triangle cup bodice and the waist bands rom the dress,reserving the dress scraps for later.( sounds like cooking -I  know!) . Then I machine rehemed the tiers (they had been raw edged),excepting the hem as that was serged cleanly.

Next I gathered the cream skirting and joined it to the dresses skirt section( this gives opacity and some slight poofiness away from the body. I'm sorta hoping for a boho Jane Austen look when I've finished this.)
I took the dress scraps and pinned ( and re pinned a few times) around the tee's neckline . The triangle bodice cups form a kind of petal/peterpan/portrait collar . I've baste sewn it in already and stitched about half of it firmly by hand.
What's left to do is :hand sew in the rest of the collar,finish collar points, pin and machine sew the skirt part to the modified tee bodice.
Possible but not "mandatory" some modification or embellishment to the sleeves,adding belt loops?
Anyway this is what I've been up to sewing wise, other than finally finishing the hemming on the tiered Lane Bryant brown print peasant skirt. Finally. Done with it!
Oh why ? Oh why ,did I buy a golden yellow one from the thrift store to do this to too? I really need the mind numbing patience lesson? Oh yeah ... It's golden yellow . With some of my other favourite colours in the prints. That's why.
Really MUST sew the rust chevron burnout tops next after this dress finishes up ( this week maybe?) and get Jenn's off to her. No more list line jumping!

No comments:

Post a Comment